Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cambodia, the land of a thousand motorbikes

I know its been a while since I wrote.  Everywhere in Cambodia has free wi-fi, but not a ton of internet shops with computers. 

First stop was Phnom Penh.  I was there for 2 days and saw the grand palace, silver pagoda, and the killing fields.  It's not really a place you want to be out alone at night so I mostly stayed in my guesthouse those two nights.  The city is so busy, there are more motorbikes than anything else.  I had my first experience riding one and its a little scary at first, but really fun.  The Cambodians have been riding them for their whole lives so they know what they are doing. 

Next I took the bus down to Sihanoukville (beach town in the south) and met up with Kelly who I met in Thailand.  I was lucky enough that Rob and Elie were still there so I got to see them for a night as well.  The beach is pretty intense.  Hundreds of kids and women trying to sell you everything....massages, jewelry, food, and then their are a ton of beggers as well.  It's really sad b/c here if you are caught stealing, they cut off your hands, so there are a ton of men that come begging with no hands.  It's hard to turn a blind eye, but there's not much else to do.  We stayed there for 6 nights.  There was an English couple that Kelly met in Vietnam that met up with us there as well.  I really like them and the three of us have come back to Phnom Penh for two days.  It's so much different being here with them b/c i can explore the night life! 

We are headed to Siem Reap tomorrow to spend a few days seeing Angkor Wat which is a massive temple built in the 12th century for a king.  It's supposed to be AMAZING so i'm really excited..  after that we are taking the oh so fun night bus to Bangkok so I can head back to Chiang Mai to meet my dad and James and Nicole can do the islands in Thailand.  I'm excited b/c they are headed to Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji in March-April and I might try to meet up with them and Anna at some point after Bali. 

I haven't been able to upload any pictures here, the internet is too slow.  Should be able to when I'm back in Thailand next week.

Miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment